Justice Nirmaljit Kaur
M.A., B.Ed., L.L.B
- Born at Ropar and belongs to old Chief's Jat Sikh Sardar Family of Killa Kathgarh, Tehsil Balachaur (now in district Nawanshahar).She passed her senior Cambridge with first division from Convent of Jesus Mary, Dehradun. Did her Graduation in Arts with first division from Sacred Heart College, Dalhousie in the year, 1979 and was awarded National Scholarship on the basis of her B.A. Result.
- Obtained Master's Degree in History with high second division from Directorate Correspondence Courses, Punjab University, Chandigarh and stood second in the Directorate of Punjab University. Also received her B.Ed. Degree with First Division from Garhwal University, Dehradun, in the year 1980. In 1985, completed her Bachelor's Degree in Law LL.B. with first division from Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- She enrolled as an Advocate in August 1987 and started practice in Punjab and Haryana High Court. Besides a good private practice, held the posts of "Legal Correspondent", "Additional Standing Counsel for the Government of India", "Additional Advocate General, Punjab" and "Assistant Solicitor General of India". Mainly dealt with Service, Criminal, Labour and Constitutional Law. During School and College days', participated in Debates, Declamation and was a keen sports woman. Was House Captain of her School and also the President of her College. She was elevated as a judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court in July 2008.
- Known for her impeccable integrity, caliber and administrative experience, Justice Nirmaljit Kaur was transferred to Rajasthan High Court in July 2012 and was posted at Jodhpur.
- Heading a Division Bench hearing criminal matters, Justice Nirmaljit Kaur heard sensitive cases such as Asaramâ€™s bail plea.
- In November 2018, Justice Nirmaljit Kaur was repatriated to the Punjab and Haryana High Court and was admired by the lawyers and litigants alike, especially for her tough stand against non-compliance of judicial orders while hearing contempt of court pleas.
- Justice Nirmaljit Kaur also delivered various milestone judgments including in the realm of education and child adoption.
- Justice Nirmaljit Kaur had retired from the Punjab and Haryana High Court, as a Judge on 27th January, 2021.
She joined as a Member of the Punjab State Human Rights Commission on 30th July, 2021.